Non-prudent use of antibiotics has several aspects such as over-use because of the prescription of antibiotics for diagnoses where they are not indicated. Moreover, self-medication with antibiotics can be considered as non-prudent use; for example, when it is delivered as over-the-counter without knowing the diagnosis or when a citizen uses leftover antibiotics.
7% of antibiotics in the EU are taken without a prescription
A study published on antimicrobial resistance and the causes of non-prudent use of antibiotics carried out by Nivel (NL) as part of the EU-funded project ARNA (Antimicrobial resistance and the causes of non-prudent use of antibiotics), estimates that 7% of antibiotics taken in the EU are taken without a prescription.
The ARNA project aimed to:
- Identify key factors that drive the sales and non-prudent use of antibiotics in human medicine obtained without a prescription
- Assess the level of enforcement of the legislation regarding ‘prescription-only’ use of antimicrobial agents in the EU
- Document good practices aimed at strengthening more prudent use of antibiotics
- Develop policy options for more prudent use of antibiotics
Interventions on a healthcare-system level suggested at country-dialogue meetings included many promoting the use of rapid diagnostics to promote prudent use of antibiotics:
- Stimulate the use of point-of-care tests and differentiate between different infections
- Put the test on the shelves of the pharmacists or provide it through the government
- Increase the availability of rapid bacterial infection tests, stimulate its use and reassure parents of children
- Give legal character to rapid tests
Read the full report here: https://ec.europa.eu/health/amr/sites/amr/files/amr_arna_report_20170717_en.pdf [pdf 4MB]
The companies, websites, products and services, and brands referenced and linked to/from this website are not sponsored or endorsed by, or otherwise affiliated with, Alere or TestTargetTreat.com. The third-party products and services referenced and linked to/ from this website are included for informational purposes only, and have not been tested or approved by Alere or TestTargetTreat.com. Neither Alere nor TestTargetTreat.com makes any representations or warranties regarding third-party products or services, and shall not be liable for any claims arising from those products or services or your use thereof.