It was a full day “high-level meeting” dedicated to addressing this global health threat. This was only the fourth time a health issue has been discussed by the UN General Assembly (HIV, noncommunicable diseases and Ebola being the others). Member States adopted the Political Declaration of the High-level Meeting on Antimicrobial Resistance contained in Resolution A/RES/71/3.
On March 17th 2017, the Secretary-General of the United Nations announced that in accordance with the Political Declaration an ad hoc Interagency Coordination Group on Antimicrobial Resistance has been established, which will be co-chaired by the UN Deputy Secretary-General and the Director General of the World Health Organization.
The Interagency Coordination Group will be comprised of high level representatives of relevant UN agencies, other international organizations, and individual experts across different sectors, including animal health, agriculture, environment, and others.
The objective of the Group will be to provide practical guidance for approaches needed to ensure sustained effective global action to address antimicrobial resistance, including options to improve coordination, taking into account the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance.
It is anticipated that the group will convene its first meeting within the next few weeks. It will produce a report to the Secretary-General for the 73rd session of General Assembly.
- Dr Hanan Balkhy, Executive Director, Infection Prevention & Control, Ministry of National Guard Health Affairs, Saudi Arabia
- Dr Jarbas Barbosa da Silva, President, National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA), Brazil
- Professor Otto Cars, Senior Professor, Infectious Diseases, Senior Adviser – ReAct, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Professor Junshi Chen, Senior Research Professor, China National Center for Food Safety Risk Assessment
- Professor Dame Sally Davies, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, United Kingdom
- Dr Lyalya Gabbasova, Assistant to the Minister of Health for AMR issues, TB, HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases, Ministry of Health, Russian Federation
- Ms Martha Gyansa-Lutterod, Director of Pharmaceutical Services, Ministry of Health, Ghana
- Ms Jaana Husu-Kallio, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Finland
- Mr Martin Khor, Executive Director, South Centre, Switzerland
- Dr Marco Marzano de Marinis, Secretary-General, World Farmers Organization, Italy
- Dr Gérard Moulin, Deputy Director, National Agency for Veterinary Medicinal Products (ANMV), and Research Director, French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (Anses), France
- Dr Donald Prater, Acting Assistant Commissioner for Food Safety Integration, Office of Foods and Veterinary Medicine, United States Food and Drug Administration, United States of America
- Professor Susana Ramirez Hita, Professor, Collective Health, Environment and Society, University Andina Simon Bolivar, Ecuador
- Dr Soumya Swaminathan, Director-General, Indian Council of Medical Research, India
- Dr Naoko Yamamoto, Assistant Minister for Global Health and Health Industry Strategy, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) [name to be confirmed later]
- Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria [name to be confirmed later]
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) [name to be confirmed later]
- World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) [name to be confirmed later]
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) [name to be confirmed later]
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) [name to be confirmed later]
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) [name to be confirmed later]
- World Bank [name to be confirmed later]
- World Customs Organization (WCO) [name to be confirmed later]
- World Health Organization (WHO) [name to be confirmed later]
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) [name to be confirmed later]
- World Trade Organization (WTO) [name to be confirmed later]